Certified copies of birth certificates are available to eligible persons upon request. To obtain a certified copy of a birth record, the applicant must be:
- Any heir (with certified death certificate)
- Any legal representative of an eligible person (Legal representative must state whom they are representing and show proof of said representation)
- The individual who is the subject of the record
- Legal guardian (with certified papers)
- The parent(s) named on the record
The applicant must also show proper identification at the time of the request, such as a driver's license, passport or state ID. If those are not possible, then we must see three other documents with the applicant's name listed on them. If you are sending your request through the mail, please include a photocopy of your current driver's license showing the expiration date.
If you are requesting a birth certificate and the parents were not married at the time of the birth, and the child was born prior to 1978, the record must be obtained at the Michigan Department of Community Health. Their phone number is 517-335-8666.
Our office will accept cash, personal checks or money orders for payment. Checks or money orders must be made payable to: Cass County Clerk Register. Our office hours are 8 a.m. through 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
You may also visit VitalCheck to order a birth, death or marriage record online.