Under Michigan Law all dogs four months old or over must have both a current rabies vaccination and a current dog license. Licenses are available for purchase October 1 through February 28 (February 29, if a leap year). They may be purchased at the Cass County Treasurer's Office, 120 N Broadway, Cassopolis, Michigan; Animal Control, 323 N M 62, Cassopolis, Michigan; your local Treasurer's Office; or possibly your veteranarian's office. After February 28th, delinquent licenses must be purchased from the County Treasurer or from Cass County Animal Control.
The cost for a dog license is $10 for an animal that has been spayed or neutered and $25 for an unaltered animal.
Instructions for Dog Owners
- Make sure your dog is currently vaccinated for rabies. Your veterinarian will give you a "Certificate of Rabies Vaccination" showing the expiration date for the vaccination.
- Complete the Dog License Application, available for download in the Treasurer Forms area at the bottom of this page. Use a separate application for each dog you own.
- Mail the Certificate of Rabies Vaccination and the completed Dog License Application, along with a check or money order for the proper license fee amount and Proof of Spaying or Neutering to the Cass County Treasurer at 120 N Broadway, Cassopolis, MI 49031. Or, if you prefer, you may apply for the license in person at your Township or City Treasurer's office (if you live within the City limits) until February 28 (February 29, if a leap year) or at the County Treasurer's Office or Animal Control at any time.
- Upon receipt of required documents and fee, your license and tag will be mailed to you. Your Certificate of Vaccination will be returned to you. If you don't receive these items within 45 days, please contact the Cass County Treasurer at 120 N Broadway, Cassopolis, MI 49031 or 269-445-4468.
- The tag should be worn by your dog. That is your dog's "ticket home" if the dog gets lost.